Logbook Setup Instructions - Activate, Deactivate, and Manage Logbook Templates
Available in: All subscription levels
Logbook Setup is where you will manage Logbooks for your businesses and customize your logbook templates. These administrative features are available to users with the Logbook Setup special role and are accessible under Settings > Logbook Setup.
In this article, we will discuss the following topics:
Logbook Key Terms
- Data Snapshot - Each section in your logbook automatically includes a data snapshot for the day's sales - this can be filtered to specific revenue centers or meal periods, but the included metrics cannot be manipulated or customized.
- Template - The page layout for the logbook that consists of custom sections
- Section - A custom page in the logbook that consists of a data snapshot, text box fields and check boxes
- Field - A custom named textbox in a logbook section for manual entry
The Logbook Management Tab allows you to activate your business, property and/or parent logbooks and set your desired template. This page lists all the logbooks you have permission to manage. If you do not see a business, property, or parent that you were expecting to see, please reach out to an admin user with access to have your user's businesses updated.
When viewing Logbook Management, keep the following in mind:
- The page lists the logbook type (parent, property, or business) and the name of the template currently assigned to it.
- You have the option to make each logbook active or inactive.
- Active logbooks also have a link to view or change the current template assigned.
Want us to walk you through it? Try our pop-up walkthrough guide to activating your logbook. If you are a user with access to Logbook Setup, log into Avero on another tab in your browser and click this link:
Need additional information? Watch the following video for more:
To make a logbook active, complete the following steps:
- Click the Active toggle for the logbook you would like to activate.
- In the pop up, select an already existing template or create a new one. When selecting an existing template, it is important to verify that the data snapshot does not have conflicting filters for your new logbook.
Please Note: If you have only one location, do not activate a Parent logbook. This is for grouping restaurants together and will not have the localized features of Snapshot and Weather Sidebar.
When thinking about templates, it is important to keep the following in mind:
- If you edit a template, all logbooks assigned that template will reflect the template's new configuration.
- Editing a template, does not affect the logbook's historical data. For example, deleting a section or field from a template does not remove logbook entries that used that section or field.
- If logbook entries already exist on a logbook page and a template update occurs, the logbook page merges the existing entries and the updated template.
- If the user views a logbook page from the past or future that does not have entries, the logbook page reflects the most recent version of the assigned template.
Assigning a Template
Assigning a template is a required step when activating a logbook. Multiple logbooks can share a single template, but a logbook can have only one assigned template at any given time.
When assigning a template to a logbook, you can either select an existing template from the list of available templates or choose to Create a New Template.
To deactivate, click the blue toggle for the logbook.
Please Note: Deactivating a logbook does not delete historical logbook entries, and users can re-activate the logbook to view past entries.
Changing the Assigned Template
You can change the template assignment for an active logbook by selecting 'change' next to the existing template name.
You can select an existing template from the list of available templates or choose to Create a New Template.
Property & Parent Logbooks
If you have multiple businesses not only can you easily toggle between businesses in the Logbook but you can also set up a parent or property Logbook.
If you have access to all the businesses for the group in Avero, in Logbook Management you will see a Parent Logbook option in addition to Logbooks for the single businesses. Parent Logbooks are grouped businesses by nature and so will not show localized features like weather and snapshots.
If you would like to group multiple businesses together, say you are a hotel with businesses for In Room Dining, Lobby Bar, Banquets, and 2 Restaurants, you would do this by creating an Attribute for those businesses to group them together. See our explanation of Attributes and Tags to complete this. Once businesses are grouped as a Property (must use Property designation, even if that doesn't quite describe your organization) you can assign a Logbook template for that property and manage the fields and Snapshot filters the same as you would for a business Logbook.
Note that users need access to all of the businesses within a Property to access the Property Logbook.