Avero's Service Category Report
Available in: Professional subscriptions only
The Service Category report breaks down your individual server’s sales by Major Category and allows you to pinpoint the exact category to focus on when mentoring your server. It can be used to set check average goals for your entire service team or specific servers.
In this article, the following topics will be discussed:
Running the Service Category Report
You can find the Service Category tab, under the Service tab within Avero.
Using the Report Generator
Like every Avero report, the Service Category report has a unique Report Generator to help you filter your results. Once you have made your selections, hit the Go button.
For instructions on how to utilize the Report Generator, reference this article.
Using Meal Period and Employee Class Filters
When running the report, be sure to narrow down your meal period to breakfast, lunch, or dinner only. Additionally, narrow down your employee class to servers only.
This is the meat of your report. Each report within Avero has a defined number of metrics that can be included in one report. We have defined all of the metric options on the Metrics page.
For the Service Category report, keep the following in mind as it relates to Metrics:
- You can choose to evaluate a variety of metrics. You can choose Gross Average Check per Cover if you want to increase the dollar amount sold per category to hit your average check goals. However, item per cover percentage is also a great way to understand the impact your servers are making in each category.
- Item/Cover % measures the percentage of guests that order items from your focus category. So if I have 5 guests and sell 2 of them a steak I would have a 40% item/cover % for steak
Excluding Servers from the Report
If you notice any servers in your results who are no longer with your restaurant, worked limited shifts during the time period, or are still in training you can check the box by the server name to exclude them from the report. Don't worry, if you incorrectly exclude someone you can always add them back in!
Viewing the Service Category Report
When viewing the data of the report, focus on areas of opportunity where your server is lower than the team in terms of Item per Cover Percentage or Gross Average Check.
Example: in the image above, two servers have a much lower Item/Cover % for the beer category than their peers. These servers may have less knowledge about beer items or might be rushing through their steps of service.
Keep the following in mind when viewing this report:
- If your mentored server is at or above the Item per Cover Percentage for every category, but is still below the team’s average for average check, then we suggest focusing on selling items at higher price points in the server’s high opportunity categories.
- High opportunity categories can be found in the Average Check per Covers column. Choose categories where your server is furthest from the team in order to see the greatest impact on their average check.
- We have a few best practices on how to improve beverage sales here.