Avero's Promotion (Comp) Detail Report
Available in: Professional subscriptions only
Avero’s Promotion Detail Report drills down further from the Promotion Summary report to provide insights on specific promotions, sometimes referred to as comps,, allowing you to determine the effectiveness of your marketing efforts and identify any associated fraud. It will also help you make data-driven decisions around which promos are resonating with your customers.
In this article, the following topics will be discussed:
A promotion is any transaction where a cost is incurred for the business but is not fully paid for by the customer. This may be a discount or a comp of an item or check.
Example: giving a VIP guest a free bottle of wine is considered a promotion or giving a client 50% off all cocktails during happy hour.
All promotions are factored into gross sales and can be seen as % of gross sales, but are factored out of net sales.
Item vs Check Promotions
Avero recognizes two different styles of promotion: Item promotions (e.g. 50% of an appetizer) and Check promotions (e.g. 50% of your entire meal). When looking at a promotion detail report, for example, we do not apply Check promotions to specific categories or items. This is because they impact the entire check, regardless of what items are ordered. If you select to view your Promotion Detail Report by items or major category, you may not have data to report.
Running a Promotion Detail Report
If your business is subscribed to this module, the Promotion Detail report is located under the Promos & Voids heading in your toolbar. This report will show you promotions broken down by:
- promotion type
- promo item qty
- promo $
- % gross sales
- check quantity
- major category
- authorizing employee and item.
- Major category & Item will not be shown on check level promotions, only item-level promotions. For more detail about the difference, see our guide: Understand Gross Sales and Net Sales
- Some POS types do not support Authorizing Employee information, if you do not see Authoring Employee, select your POS system from our list of *Avero POS Integrations to view any data points your system does not supply.
Every Avero report has a unique Report Generator to help you filter your results using metric filters. This is the meat of your report. Each report within Avero has a defined number of metrics that can be included in one report. We have defined all of the metric options on the Metrics page. Once you've made your choices, hit Go. For instructions on how to utilize the Report Generator, reference this article.
Selecting a View
When running the Promotion Detail Report you can select how you want the information in the report to be grouped. The default view is to see your promotions grouped by Employee. To make other selections, select View By in the far-right of the report generator:
You can group your promotion information by:
- Authorizing Employee: see who approved each promotion type and the number of promotions each manager/supervisor has approved.
- Why? If certain managers/supervisors are approving more comps/promotions than others it could mean they are not sticking to your SOPs, the employees they are overseeing are making more mistakes, or they may be complicit in a promotion abuse scam.
- Note: the data point is not available in all POS Systems, review the POS guide for your system to see if available.
- Employee: see the quantity and types of promotions by the employee whose orders/checks are receiving the comps.
- Why? Some employees may overuse or abuse promotions to pocket extra cash, or they may be making more mistakes than their peers causing higher-than-average quality service adjustments.
- Items: see which items are comped in the date range selected
- Why? If certain items are comped more frequently, the item may be receiving more complaints that could be alleviated by changing the recipe, presentation, or price. If you are running a loyalty promotion or marketing campaign, you may want to see the rate of redemption.
- Note: View by Items is not available for check-level promotions, only item-level promotions.
- Major Category: See which categories of items are being most frequently comped.
- Why? If certain categories are comped more frequently, there may be an issue the team can address. If you are running a loyalty promotion or marketing campaign, you may want to see the rate of redemption.
- Note: View by Major Category is not available for check-level promotions, only item-level promotions.
Viewing the Promotion Detail Report
The report allows you to drill down into more detail but clicking on the blue hyperlinks under the Check Qty column. These links will take you to the Check Search where you are able to see all the checks for the listed Employee that contain promotions for the date range that is selected in the Report Generator.
Please note: there is not a visualization for this report.
Get this report delivered to your managers automatically:
Set up an Email Schedule...
Click the Envelope to set up an email schedule.
...or Pin it to your Dashboard.
Click the Speedometer to add to your Dashboard.