Modifiers in Avero
This article explains how modifiers are represented in Avero and what reporting and analytics can be used for modifiers.
- Types of Modifiers
- Can I see modifiers in Avero?
- How to enable Zero $ Modifiers data
- POS Systems that cannot send $0 Modifiers
Types of Modifiers
Modifiers are added to a base item to modify or adjust it. Depending on your POS system and restaurant type, these can be menu items and may or may not have revenue associated with them.
Modifiers generally fall into two categories: Dollar Modifiers (modifiers which carry a charge to the customer, such as 'Add Avocado' or 'Double') and Zero Dollar Modifiers (modifiers that are no charge, such as 'No Pickles' or 'Extra Onions' that generally only apply to the preparation of the item).
Can I see modifiers in Avero?
All items for which there is a charge appear in Avero, generally speaking. Most operators prefer not to see Zero Dollar Mods, since they are generally only related to preparing the item and don't generate revenue, so by default we generally do not capture Zero Dollar Mods. Including these may be an option for the following systems: Aldelo, Aloha, Infogenesis 4+, Micros 3700, Micros Simphony On-Premise, Mobilebytes/Heartland POS, Revel, Toast, and Lightspeed.
Modifiers that carry a charge will appear like items in Avero and be seen in the Item Sales Report. Modifiers are not and cannot be associated with the item they have modified, so you will see 'Add Bacon' listed in item sales but not a breakdown of how many bacon adds were for the Hamburger and how many were for the Chicken Sandwich. This cannot be changed.
Sizes or levels of items are generally not captured unless each size is its own item.
The following systems do not send information on modifiers:
How to enable Zero $ Modifiers data
If you have a system that supplies $0 Mods data points, this can be toggled in the Avero DEU. If you have a cloud system that supports $0 modifiers, open a ticket with Avero Support to have this data enabled.
The following On-Premise (that means you have a server at your restaurant that hosts your POS) systems have a check-box that allows you to decide to include Zero Modifiers. Before checking or unchecking this box, make sure your team all wants to be able to see these modifiers. We can only receive all or none based on the box check. Many managers prefer the cleanliness of a PMIX / Item Sales Report without these items. You can also make a category for these items to easily exclude them from reports.
On-Premise Systems that support $0 Modifiers:
- On the PC that runs your POS, typically in your BOH, sign in as an administrative user.
- If you don't have administrative rights, find a user that does, and ask them to complete the following steps.
- Open the Avero Data Extraction Utility (DEU) and click Options
- The DEU is typically found on the PC's desktop. If it's not, use windows to search for Avero, and you should find it.
- The icon looks like this:
- If Options requires a password, you'll need to update to the latest version first, which takes 2-5 minutes following these instructions: DEU Update On-Demand
- Go to Point of Sale section, Miscellaneous tab
- Check the box for Zero Modifiers:
Cloud & Export Systems that support $0 Modifiers:
Cloud: Toast and Lightspeed
To enable, open a ticket with Avero Support.
Export: Mobilebytes/Heartland POS and Revel
To enable, request your POS provider include these data points in the export sent to Avero.
POS Systems that cannot send $0 Modifiers
The following systems do not / can not supply the non-revenue modifier data points:
Depending on your POS setup, other systems may or may not be able to send this data point.
Other articles related to modifiers: