Custom Category & Item Alias
Available in: Professional subscriptions only
Avero's Custom Category feature enables you to create your own item categories, regardless of how the items are mapped in the POS. Any new categories you create are available instantly, through Avero.
The Item Alias feature is a great way to group like items that may have slight variances in the names to one item name. This article will walk through the following:
- Why Use a Custom Category?
- Creating A Custom Category
- Viewing Custom Categories
- Creating An Item Alias
Please note: You must have the special role in Avero to create these categories. Please reach out to your organization's designated Avero admin if you need access to this role.
Why Use a Custom Category?
Typically, when organizing POS categories the primary concerns are how the revenue will be routed (food items should generate food revenue) and how the menus will appear/be available to report on (appetizers vs entrees within food, for example). That's great for organization but when driving your team to sell and create a complete guest experience, you may want to report on things that wouldn't be categorically linked for Revenue or Menus/PMIX.
Running 'perfect check' reports to Drive Sales, for example, you may want to group Starters, Desserts, and Signature Cocktails but still want them in their own categories in the POS - Avero allows you to create a Custom Category to include all these things, without affecting revenue routing or menus!
If Protecting Profit, you may want to check on only high-margin items, such as premium spirits and chicken entrees. Custom categories lets you mix and match at will across your organization without impacting basic reporting!
Creating A Custom Category
In order to create a custom category, complete the following steps:
- Navigate to Settings, and use the drop-down menu to navigate to Custom Category & Item Alias
- Click Add and enter your category name.
- Click out of the box or tap enter to save. Then, click Next.
- Select your business and click Next.
- Add your preferred items and click Next.
- Feel free to share the category with other Avero users and click Finish.
Viewing Custom Categories
In order to run reports using your new category, complete the following steps:
- Within the Report Generator, navigate to the Category area.
- Select None and Custom.
Creating An Item Alias
In order to create an item alias, complete the following steps:
- Navigate to Settings, and using the drop-down menu, navigate to Custom Category & Item Alias.
- Click the Item Alias tab at the top.
- Click Add and enter your new item name
- Then, select the items you want to group together