Avero Covid Resource Center
Since Covid-19 has significantly changed restaurant operations, it’s important to also change how you use Avero to analyze and improve your business. We’ve had a lot of conversations with our customers about their current operations and leveraged our data expertise to put this Covid Resource Center together.
Use the resources below to better understand how to assess your performance without relevant year-over-year data, where to focus your efforts, and how to find additional resources to help you problem solve your unique Covid-19 challenges.
- Narrow your view & normalize your data for current conditions
- Benchmark to changing circumstances
- What can you control? Time to clean up & streamline!
Narrow your view & normalize your data for current conditions
Because of the major shift in sales starting in March 2020, comparing year-over-year metrics to measure your progress or anticipate performance won’t deliver the helpful insights you need. This year is all about progress, not perfection. Instead of relying on traditional touchpoints, our customers are narrowing their focus to week-over-week performance and recent trends.
Recommended Reporting and Analytics Updates:
- Narrow your view
- Update your dashboards to reflect your new normal
- Prioritize revenue and reduce costs
Benchmark to changing circumstances
Every week Avero leverages our industry data and expertise to provide a deep dive into the state of our industry across each region of the US via the Avero Index. You can use it to help gauge your effectiveness during this unique time when external factors like Covid infection rates and local/state ordinances have a major impact on performance. Instead of comparing your performance to last year, to national trends, or guessing, use our Index to give you an idea of your business's performance comparative to your region or industry segment.
The Avero Index is updated every week - Dive into the latest data.
This graph is from our analysis of Christmas and New Year's impacts, check it out!
Index at a Glance 12.13.20-1.3.21
- All Avero Index: Sales up 11%, open units down 4%
- Midwest: Sales up 11%, open units down 3%
- Northeast: Sales up 7%, open units down 10%
- South: Sales up 14%, no change in open units
- West: Sales up 12%, open units down 1%
How do you compare to your region?
Run sales reports for similar timeframes and view how your sales have changed. If you are in the Midwest and your sales are down 3%, it may feel like a loss. Check the Index however, and you'll see that you performed better than average in your region which is down 5%. Share the good news by publicly thanking your customers or telling your staff how their efforts have helped keep your whole team going.
What can you control? Time to clean up & streamline!
When operating a busy restaurant there are so many upkeep tasks that keep us running we tend to deprioritize big projects for the sake of time. With fewer customers to serve, you can harness any unwanted downtime to invest in improving your business for the future - with only the cost of your time.
- Clean up your data - Accurate analysis is hampered by dirty data and prevents you from making the best operational decisions to push your business forward
- Perform a data quality audit to see where your opportunities are
- Understand which metrics paint the picture you need
- Train & learn -Familiarize yourself with our training resources to increase your own knowledge and make it easier to train new and returning staff
- Put systems in place for bettering business operations and reopening with agility: