Avero's Category Sales Report
Available in: Essentials and Professional subscriptions
Whether you're a casual bistro, fast-paced sports bar, or an established fine dining restaurant, you should have an ideal category sales breakdown.
Depending on your style of business, this goal can fluctuate. You can keep your business on track by taking advantage of Category Sales data.
In this article, the following topics will be discussed:
Running a Category Sales Report
Category Sales is located under the Sales heading. This report is a reflection of your major category sales from all revenue centers, meal periods and order types.
Every Avero report has a unique Report Generator to help you filter your results using metric filters. This is the meat of your report. Each report within Avero has a defined number of metrics that can be included in one report. We have defined all of the metric options on the Metrics page.Once you've made your choices, hit Go. For instructions on how to utilize the Report Generator, reference this article.
Want us to walk you through it?
If you're currently logged into Avero, click to launch our pop-up guide to see how: How To: Run a Category Sales Report
You must be logged in to launch the guide, open another tab in your browser and log in before clicking the guide link! Please Note: This report is available in Essentials and Professional Packages only, Starter Tier businesses will not be able to view this report.
Using Category Filters
Avero's Category Sales report breaks your sales down by sales categories. These are defined in levels. Categories cannot be reordered within Avero, but you can create Custom Categories to better organize your data if desired.
- Global is the broadest giving you the truest birds-eye view of your Food -v- Beverage business. When you install Avero your POS categories are separated by Food or Beverage.
- Major categories are defined in your POS and are likely reflective of the different items you sell. For example, Beer, Wine, and Liquor might all be Major Categories.
- Minor categories are also defined in your POS. These will be more specific. Minor categories might be things like Appetizers, Red Wine, or Draft Beer.
- Custom categories are designed by you in Avero. This allows you to include any mix of products from your predefined POS categories. Do you have a prix fixe menu that you'd like to isolate? Use custom categories to define a Prefix category for reporting.
Please note: Some POS systems, such as Aloha, do not offer Major and Minor categories.
Viewing the Category Sales Report
The Category Sales visualization will be displayed as a pie chart. When viewing the pie chart, keep the following in mind:
- Use the drop down menu to toggle between the metrics you chose.
- To isolate categories, click on the colored bubbles next to ones you would like to remove from the chart.
- Use the Speedometer icon to pin this chart to your Dashboard.
The Category Sales Report will also display a table. When viewing the table, keep the following in mind:
- Drill down to an Item Sales report by clicking the hyperlinked category name.
- Collapse categories by clicking the - next to the category name.
- By clicking the header Category, you can shift the sort for that column.
Report Context: Cover / Check Count & Average Check
At the top of every sales report you run in Avero, you will see a header table providing helpful context for the sales information you are viewing: Cover Count, Average Check by Covers, Check Count, and Average Check by Check. You can choose whether or not to view this information by clicking the Context button with the eye icon to show or hide the context from view.
Why am I seeing OLD Categories? How can I remove OLD Categories?
OLD Categories appear in the historical data if you've switched POS Systems. We mark them as OLD for you to easily filter. You can easily filter them out and save reports for quick run in the future. Here are the steps:
- Run the report with your preferred categories chosen.
- Save the report using the save icon in the report header.
- Going forward, access this report via Saved Reports. All your preferred categories will be pre-selected.
Get this report delivered automatically:
Set up an Email Schedule...
Click the Envelope to set up an email schedule.
...or Pin it to your Dashboard.
Click the Speedometer to add to your Dashboard.